Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Today is our 4th wedding anniversary! SO hard to believe. Last week I watched graduates walking all over campus and realized that I could have finished a whole other degree by now (if I'd wanted to!). Now I sit here and think, I'm working on another degree: life. I LOVE what I do. I miss working in the real world and having interaction with adults, but as I converse with other moms who work out of the home I realize that is more worth sacrificing worldly goods than sacrificing my children and my family.
I am so thankful that the Lord brought us together. We were just discussing this a few nights ago. Many people thought we were an oddly matched, and even a poorly matched couple. It brings to mind the Shania Twain song, "You're Still the One." When we first met, Nathanael and I were still trying to find ourselves, I guess you could say. We both came from different backgrounds, and came to a college that had, perhaps, some different teachings than we were familiar with. So we were still trying to find what we believed for ourselves, and not just because that's what we'd heard our whole lives, but trying to decide what our own convictions were. Somewhere along the road of "just friends," "dating," "just friends," and "no, we're dating again," we began to come to conclusions on these convictions together. Naturally, there are still things we are learning, and as each new stage come with our children there are new guidelines and convictions that we have to take into consideration and establish for our family.
I am thankful for the conservative, level-headed, common-sense husband God gave me. There hasn't been much that we've disagreed on in the last four years, and the few things we did were usually because I needed an attitude adjustment about something. I'm thankful for a man who is willing to allow me to stay home with our children, even though that has meant many sacrifices on our part...something we are still learning to do. I'm thankful for the philosophy on family-raising that my husband has. I'm very thankful for a man who agrees with and is very supportive of my birthing philosophy and who has been a phenomenal pre-natal, labor and delivery, and post-natal support person...who needs a doula! :) I'm thankful for someone who, as much as he hates to read, is willing to read books or articles that I find that can be helpful guides for us in training our children and nurturing our family. I'm thankful for a man who is willing to take a day off work so that I can have a "day off." Yes, I'm still a mom, but instead of doing housework today, I'm sitting on the computer updating pictures on Shutterfly, updating my blog, getting caught up on other blogs, snooping out deals and giveaways, looking through sales ads and coupons, and will hopefully do some other "detail" things that I never seem to get done with the girls around.
We definitely still have much growing to do and many lessons to learn. But isn't that just a part of growing old? And isn't that just one of the reasons you get married--so that you have someone to grow old with?!

No comments:

Post a Comment