Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

I LOVE to be in my kitchen....well, until it's time to clean it up! I love to cook and bake, and I'm more of an experimental cook/baker. I take recipes as suggestions, and rarely do I follow a recipe exactly as it is written.

My friend, Brandi, over at Raising Arrows will periodically have a segment called "Tasty Tuesday." It just like the sound of having an alliterated title, so I decided to carry it over with my recipe posts...though I won't allow this to restrict me to only posting recipes on Tuesdays!

Today I'm going to share one of my favorite recipes that I discovered, and my family enjoyed, this past winter. I have a daughter with multiple food allergies, so most recipes I post will have been adjusted to suit her needs. When applicable, I will include a link to the original recipe.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon almond milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (may be omitted if using vanilla-flavored milk)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
  1. Combine pumpkin, sugar, and vegetable oil. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
  2. Add vanilla, chocolate chips and nuts.
  3. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.
Note: The original recipe calls for 1 cup pumpkin and one egg. I use an extra 1/4 c pumpkin in place of the egg. You can use 1/4 c of any pureed fruit or veggie. You can also use a marketed egg replacer. My preference is Ener-G egg replacer.

We inhaled these cookies! I would usually make a triple batch and put some up in the freezer, but they still didn't last very long!


No comments:

Post a Comment