Thursday, February 24, 2011

Retreat to the Stores

When once I use to think in Facebook statuses, I now think in blog posts. When I first got into Facebook I found myself thinking in third person sentences describing what I was doing at that moment--as if I were updating my status while making dinner or something! Now, something affects me emotionally, physically, spiritually, or just a regular, daily happening, and I start writing out a blog post in my head. Obviously, they rarely make it to the blog! I've always enjoyed writing and writing has always been my preferred method for channeling my frustrations and other emotions through life. (But as a teacher once told me, I'm not very good at it. I do still enjoy it. Just don't grade me. ;) )
The last few days have become a blur for me as the curse of Florida allergies has settled in my head. When I was growing up, my father and sisters had horrible allergies, and I use to almost find it comical how much they sneezed each morning when they woke up. I know longer think it is funny. I also have a new respect for that dazed look that my one sister wore on her face all the way through the heavy pollen season. Somewhere around my sophomore year of college I realized I had allergies, and all the doctor could say was, "Welcome to Florida!" --Not very encouraging! The "blessing" of being in Florida is that allergy season only goes away for the few weeks in January when it gets really cold (for Florida). Otherwise, there's always something new blooming, since we rarely have more than two season a year!
Ironically, today, I couldn't focus and put the energy into playing with and taking care of my kids. So I did something that would probably seem like backwards logic and reasoning--I put them in the car and we went to the store! Since I wasn't doing any type of "intense" shopping or evening dealing with sales and coupons, there was nothing about this trip that could be stressful. A few days ago my husband mentioned that we needed more bird food because he could hear the birds beaks hitting the plastic at the bottom of their trough as they tried to get every last seed that they could. So we headed to Lowe's. I looked at some seeds for gardening (which I really need to get on the ball with, but still don't know exactly how to go about getting it going!), and the girls entertained themselves in the Lowe's Nascar shopping cart. (Which, for the record, those things are a pain to steer.) We got the bird food, and then the girls played on the tractors (i.e. riding lawn mowers). We stopped at Publix on the way home to pick up some deliciously inexpensive strawberries! I think the girls ate half a pound for lunch!
I just found it almost humorous how other days it's usually a big ordeal to me to have all of my ducks in a row and I get stressed out going shopping or whatever, but today I chose that over laying on the couch and being pounced on by a three-year-old and a one-year-old. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment